Research shows that most individuals do not keep their resolutions. We are simply setting ourselves up for failure.
What should we do instead?
- Make real life changes that are reasonable.
- Make specific short-term and long-term goals with timelines.
- Make a realistic plan of action.
- When you reach a goal set a new one.
- Share your goals with those around you.
- Find someone to Mastermind with. It is always easier to do something if you have someone doing it with you.
You want to lose weight for example. Do not say I am going to lose weight this year.
It would be better to say, “I will lose 5 pounds a month by going to the gym and making good food choices. Susie and I will meet at the gym twice a week. I will write down everything that I eat. I will choose healthy food choices every day. I will allow myself one day to cheat. I will, however, cheat in moderation. I will pay close attention to my portion sizes. I will drink 8 ounces of water before every meal and at bedtime. If I fall, I will forgive myself and realize that no one is perfect.”
It is important that this is a lifestyle change.
Live the best life that you can each day!